Our campus is always evolving at the Alberta College of Art + Design, and here you’ll find yourself surrounded by the connoisseurs of Calgary’s contemporary culture. At the ACAD Students’ Association, you’ll be working with a group of innovative, quirky, passionate, and hard-working creatives committed to providing ACAD’s student body with unique opportunities to enhance their sense of well-being, develop their professional skills, and establish a strong presence in the culture of the institution. Together, we continuously find ways to build on the strengths of our programs, boost our support services, and advocate for an exceptional student experience.
Be on the pulse of Calgary’s creative community and work with Alberta’s up and coming cultural innovators!
Hear/d Program Mentor
Reporting to the Alberta College of Art + Design Students’ Association Health + Wellness Program Manager (“HWPM”) and with support of other ACADSA staff, the Hear/d Mentor is responsible for acting as a leader within the ACAD community while supporting the student participants of the Hear/d Residency program.
The Hear/d residency is a 3-month long student-run artist residency held on campus. This year the program will focus on the theme of resiliency, to explore the process of dealing with a variety of mental health issues many post-secondary students face. Given this theme, participants are invited to explore and share their journeys in a creative and innovative way. Through group discussions, reflection, individual studio time, critiques, and workshops, this residency will provide a platform for a diverse array of creative output. The residency will aim to raise awareness towards the health + well being of post-secondary students, while also connecting members from different disciples who will help to build a stronger sense of inclusion and comradery in the ACAD community.
The mentorship positions will be split into two separate positions to accommodate for a shared workload and supportive team philosophy.
This is a part-time position with a schedule of up to approximately 10 hours per month, with a compensation of $600.00 honorarium per semester. The position will commence January 21, 2019 and continues until April 18, 2019.
- Support the creation of program promotional materials such as postcards and posters
- Coordinate studio visit schedule with all participants
- Install artist statements for the final exhibition
- Format all written work required for the exhibition
- Coordinate the photography schedule for all residency participants
- Create and install vinyl for the exhibition
- Develop meeting agendas to cover required information and discussion points with participants
- Perform studio visits with participants to support the development of work
- Facilitate the installation and striking of the final exhibition
- Generate a safe and supportive environment for participants
- Create joint testimonial to be included in the program catalogue
- Facilitate residency program group meetings
- Communicate respectfully with participating students
Who You Are…
Here at ACADSA we’ve worked hard to develop a culture we are proud to be a part of, and if you can say yes to a few of these things you might be proud to be a part of it too…
Equity & Diversity – Are you willing to consciously create room for respectful dialogue surrounding issues of equity and diversity? Pursuing a creative life takes guts! We’ve got a diverse, spunky, progressive, and outspoken community here at ACAD, and we are always looking for ways to self-reflect and incorporate socially just practices in our workplace.
Collaboration & Empowerment – Do you believe in bringing other people up, supporting your co-workers’ success, and finding ways to work together to accomplish your goals? From start to finish we are constantly learning from each other and finding ways to practice gratitude and celebrate the victories, both big and small.
Inspiration & Innovation – Are you excited to put your ideas on the table, take the risk and try something new even if you might fail? We love a good brainstorming session, and are always open to incorporating fresh ideas into our programs and services.
- A mature attitude and ability to work independently and be a responsive member of the ACADSA team
- Organized and detail oriented
- Excellent time management skills
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Must have previously participated in a Hear/d program
- Have a general understanding of mental health challenges facing post-secondary students
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND ASSETS
- Previous experience in a leadership position working with small-large groups
- An interest in curatorial experience
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple deadlines
- Enthusiasm to exceed performance expectations
- Supportive and patient demeanor
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter which includes a brief description of the applicant’s’ knowledge of the Hear/d program, and a detailed understanding of the position and required skill. Applicants are also required to submit their curriculum vitae along with a portfolio of work to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than noon on January 10, 2019.
The Alberta College of Art + Design Students’ Association is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.