EMMEDIA welcomes submissions of new or recent media art work for our 6th PARTICLE + WAVE Media Arts Festival from January 30 – February 1, 2020, a 3-day event that will celebrate the critical innovation and creativity present in the media arts community. This festival will showcase an art form that by its very nature, is constantly evolving and growing with the integration of ever-changing technological processes.
We are currently looking for the following submissions:
1) Media art exhibitions/installations
This could be a single project or group exhibition depending on available gallery space or venue. EMMEDIA has their own gallery space (see floor plan here) but can make accommodations to find a more suitable off-site space if necessary. A smaller project has the possibility of also being curated into a group exhibition.
2) Experimental short films, videos or animations
Experimental short films, videos or animations are accepted to be curated into a shorts screening program. Shorts should be no longer than 20 minutes. This must be submitted through FilmFreeway at: https://filmfreeway.com/particlewave. There may be possibilities of screening outside the screening program at our other venues.
3) Live audio-visual performances
Our main performance venue is Festival Hall. Go to www.festivalhallcalgary.com for more information on the venue. Typically, we host multiple performances in one night so they should be no longer than 20 minutes, but we can accommodate longer performances if necessary to the project, and/or find another suitable venue.
EMMEDIA’s programming committee selects proposals through a peer review process and is based on the artistic merit of the project, relevance to EMMEDIA’s mandate and programming, feasibility of the proposed budget, and the ability of EMMEDIA to provide appropriate space and/or support for the project.
EMMEDIA is committed to paying a professional fee for all works presented, including travel and accommodations for visiting artists. Shipping of works will only be covered for one-way travel. Artist is responsible for shipping works to the festival.
About EMMEDIA Gallery & Production Society:
Since its inception in 1979, EMMEDIA has maintained a two-part mandate: to support both the production and presentation of media arts. EMMEDIA responds to a broad community by offering affordable access to media art production tools and facilities, services, technical and educational support, an array of production programs and residencies, and a year-round schedule of public exhibition programs including the PARTICLE + WAVE Media Arts Festival. Our programs strive to foster artistic dialogue and engagement through complementary activities such as artist talks and panel discussions, workshops and publications. For more information, go to www.emmedia.ca
Submissions for installations, exhibitions or live performances, must include the following components:
1. Proposal: Clearly describe the proposed project. Provide details about your spatial and material requirements, including equipment needs and a tech rider. Explain what kind of venue is best suited to your proposed work (gallery, theatre, off-site, public space, etc).
2. Artist Statement (maximum of 1 page): Contextualize your proposal and the work submitted within your artistic practice.
3. Curriculum Vitae (maximum of 2 pages): Describe your artistic background and previous works and accomplishments completed (e.g. education, grants, scholarships or awards received, previous exhibitions or performances, commissions, professional memberships, etc.)
4. Images/Support Material: Up to 10 images and/or up to 3 examples of video/audio.
a. Digital images: Should be in JPEG format. File names should correspond to the image list.
b. Video/Audio: Submit only the material that demonstrates your artistic accomplishments related to the proposed project, and please limit each example to five minutes in length. Please submit video/audio files through file transfers via Dropbox, WeTransfer etc., or through file sharing sites like Youtube, Vimeo, Soundcloud etc. You may also send files on DVDs or USB key if the file is too large. Please note that these will not be returned.
5. Image List and/or Video/Audio list: All images, video, and audio files must be numbered and labeled to match the corresponding list with descriptions.
6. Budget: Please provide a clear budget of anticipated expenses and related fees in presenting your project including any estimated travel, accommodations and shipping costs if applicable. We do not provide production costs for projects but will cover rentals and/or materials used in the installation of the work. We encourage artists to utilize the equipment at EMMEDIA. A list of most our equipment can be found at: https://emmedia.booqable.shop/. Artist fees will be determined by EMMEDIA and will not be needed in the budget, unless the artist has a minimum/set fee that is non-negotiable.
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE IN ELECTRONIC FORMAT ONLY.
Please send all written support as PDF files and images in JPEG format. If you are sending by mail, please put all files onto one CD/DVD or USB key. Additional DVDs may be included for video support material if files are too large to fit. Please do not send any paper or include a return envelope. Submissions will not be returned.
Please send CD/DVDs and/or USB key to:
EMMEDIA Gallery & Production Society
2005 10 Ave SW
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
or email digital files to:
with subject line: PARTICLE + WAVE festival submission