Hours: To be negotiated
Alberta Views magazine is looking for a design intern to join our small but dedicated staff. This is a paid, full- or part-time, temporary position running from June to August, based in our Calgary office.
Provide outstanding support to our art director. Create layouts, illustrations and in-house promotional materials that are consistent with our magazine’s mandate and visual identity.
- Student or recent graduate in a recognized post-secondary design or arts program
- Experience with InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop
- Experience as an illustrator would be an asset
- Understanding of magazine design would be an asset
- Experience creating info-graphics would be an asset
- Interest in politics, culture, the arts
- Ability to read and analyse magazine content and come up with visual concepts to communicate the purpose or essence of the original writing
- Independent/ proactive/ cooperative/ ability to work as part of a team
- Work with art director on visual concepts for magazine articles
- If appropriate, create illustrations for magazine articles and in-house promotional materials
- Create magazine layout using AV templates and InDesign stylesheets
- Create branding and marketing materials for subscription and advertising campaigns that demonstrate an understanding of
- the magazine’s mandate and identity
- Production and other tasks
- Prepare client advertisements for publication by checking file for colour, resolution, etc.
- Communicate with visual contributors, obtain permissions for publishing images
- Research existing images and art for use in the magazine
- Participate in layout meeting
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide samples of your work or a link to your online portfolio.